Tuesday, December 27, 2005

SPORTING GALS YEAR-END BONANZA SPORTS WRAP-UP!

Welcome to the 1st annual SPORTING GALS YEAR-END BONANZA SPORTS WRAP-UP! It's not easy doing this nonsense from your memory at the end of the year. All year-round we've thought of ideas for this, but of course, we don't remember now. So here's our best attempt to represent the best - according to us. =)

* * * * * * *
FOOTBALL!!
Criss:
-Dan Marino: Now in the Hall of Fame, Dan gave his best to the Miami Dolphins and South Florida. Although he never won a Super Bowl, he is very deserving of every accolade he gets. Congrats!

-The Colts: What can I say about the Mighty Colts? For starters, a great
season deserving a championship! Although they are going through a rough time right now, they are amazing team with a great coach, and big hearts, and it shows now more than ever. And Peyton, can we say MVP?

AP Photo, Phil Coale

-The Dolphins: No playoffs this year, just like the last few years, BUT they’ve been playing great as of late; five in a row and counting…. Maybe it’s a sign of things to come…

-NY Teams: No Jets and no Bills… Oh, but then there’s Peyton’s little brother… I’ll be rooting for Eli and the Giants, unless you play your brother, that is.

-Terrell Owens: Here is my one and only opinion about the matter - SUSPEND HIM FROM THE LEAGUE…

* * * * * * *
Roxy:
-Steve Young:
Hall of Fame, people. This guy is class. Defines the word. After years of tormenting my family and friends with never-ending games and personal commentary (Dear Criss, you missed out on most of these years with me), the man gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. I should've been there. I'm a fool. But I remember that Monday night game with him here against Miami. Imagine how I felt when he got injured a few weeks before that, and I wasn't gonna see him play! I saw him throw on the sidelines, and I did see this next man make some touchdowns!
Photo: Kurt Rogers, SF Chronicle

-Jerry Rice: Okay, class part 2. We love Jerry. Loved watching him play wih excellence. No comparison, past, present or future. And his discipline... Did anyone ever see that interview about his pre-season/off-season regimen on The Hill? Happy Retirement.

-Tedy Bruschi: What a great comeback. That's determination. I think even non-Pats fans were shocked at what happened to him. It was terrific to see him play again that Monday night.

AP Photo: Robert E. Klein, YahooSports.com

-Pats vs. Dolphins: Last year, I thought they had this one in the bag and because my brother's friend was weeping from the impending Dolphins loss, we left early! We heard the crowd go crazy as we walked to the parking lot. Then, with the game on the radio (and I was in Mr. Dolphins' car to endure this part), the Dolphins come back to beat the Pats. So, it was a looong ride home, my friends. After a shaky game this year, the Pats pulled this one off as I screamed, "I didn't come here to see you lose again." It's cool seeing Brady, Bruschi, Vrabel, Vinatieri, and the gang live. Apparently, so cool, I might get a little too loud, forcing my NY friend at this game to tell me to simmer down with hand motions. (His side: He said he was scared b/c we had a lot of Dolfans around us.) Brady kept so composed the whole time, walking around as if he were at his sister's B-B-Q.

-Adam Vinatieri: Just b/c I like him 'cause he's so good.

AP Photo: Keith Srakocic; YahooSports.com

-Tom Brady: SI Sportsman of the Year and the 60 Minutes interview. I knew he was a nice guy, but I didn't know how nice until these two interviews. Oh my gosh, I almost forgot the Super Bowl!

-Ben Roethlisberger: Exciting. I think with some polish, he's gonna go places.

* * * * * * *
BASEBALL!!
Roxy:
-Red Sox: I'm certainly not in the mood to talk about this, but okay. Be positive.

-Varitek: His first Grand Slam. Wow, that seems funny doesn't it? But true.

-Queer Eye: How funny was that? I know Dear Criss loooves the part where they wax Varitek's back!

Photos: Boston Globe, Boston.com




-Millar: "What in the world, junior?!" I love the picture with him in Brady's uni. I loved watching (on Carson Daly's show) the video of him singing "Born in the U.S.A." thrusting his fist in the air when he was a young chap in college. Believe it or not, I'm the only Sox fan who hasn't seen that. Millar will always be my co-favorite player (with Varitek). Cowboy Up, buddy.

Photo: Boston Globe, Boston.com





-Gabe Kaplar: Coming back from Japan!

Photo: Boston Globe, Boston.com

-Spring Training: Watching the Sox in Ft. Lauderdale while Criss STUDIED next to me! Priceless. Thanks for letting me use your camera.

-Beating the Yankees in the ALDS. Skip the next part of the drama.** [**Okay, okay, after Criss enlightened me, I realized that I'm an idiot living in a dream world b/c that was just a regular end-of-season series this year. Oops. And last year was the ALCS, followed by THE WORLD SERIES!! Excuse me. I still stand behind the joy of beating the Yankees at the end of this season.]

-The ring ceremony on opening day at Fenway. Awww. What a lovely day.

* * * * * * *
Criss:
-The Yankees:
Rox, the Yankees-Red Sox ALDS thing was in 2004! Please let it go, for your own benefit… But I believe the series you are talking is the last series of the season, when the Yankess celebrated their eighth straight AL East title on your field... Enough about that, during the offseason, something magnificent did happen: the acquisition of your bearded center-fielder, Damon. Do you remember? I think you’re still crying about that one. But we can’t forget about BERNIE and Matsui renewing their contracts! YAY! 2006 here we come!

-Derek Jeter: Just because he’s my favorite…

Reuters Photo: Ray Stubblebine

-World Series: Congrats to the White Sox and their world series championship.

-Spring Training: Let me tell you about my career-changing spring training game. First of all, I have to go with Rox to a Sox game, but she can't go with me to a Yanks game (I put up with a lot). Then, I have to ask for the day off from work (boss not real happy). At the game, I have to study for my PR class test (not doing a very good job). Get to school with minutes to spare, go to the bathroom to freshen up (because sitting under the hot scorching South Florida sun is not exactly a nice and clean experience). Get to class, look at the test and wonder where's the stuff I studied during the game (none of it there). So you see, I don't recall doing very well in that class, which makes me think about my Advertising degree. And what do I do the following semester? But of course, change my degree to Psychology!!! After all of this, the one who's gonna need a shrink is me!

**********
Roxy's Commentary on Criss' Nonsense: Well, you see how the Red Sox game guided you in the right direction? It was like you had an epiphany. You don't just get that with the Yankees. And you bet I'm not going with you to a Yankees game. That's just wrong. (Thanks for being an understanding friend.)

* * * * * * *
BASKETBALL:
Criss:
-What, the Knicks won?: Well, as you all know, I’m a NY fan, and the Knicks are not exactly the best. What happened? We have a great coach and some good players. I thought that was enough to make us contenders… Well, there’s always next year.

-The Heat is On: Yes, I copied that from them, but it's true. They'll be contenders and I suppose I'll root for them, or else Darryl Hall and John Oates will kill me...

-Dwayne Wade: Best selling jersey in the entire league!

AP Photo: Lynne Sladky

* * * * * * *
Roxy: Zzzz. No Stockton to Malone (the Jazz version of Malone), Jeff Hornacek, Greg Ostertag and friends, no basketball.

* * * * * * *
Hockey:
Criss: Zzzz... Unless the team from "Miracle" plays!!!! Go OC!!!

Promotion Photo, Yahoo!
* * * * * * *
Roxy: Best 2005 DVD release: "Miracle."

* * * * * * *


Hope you enjoyed our 2005 analysis!
-Criss & Roxy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home