Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Listen to Your Papi

No, no, no. Your surely NY news source did not write the full thing, and Jeter wasn't so gracious in his response, so please.

"I'm right there, but I'm not going to win it. They give it to Alex [Rodriguez] one year, even though his team was in last place, so now they can't play that BS anymore, just because your team didn't make it. They gave it to Alex that year because of his numbers. But they always have a reason to vote for whatever, so that's why I don't worry about it. But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about [Derek] Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games. Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup. Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be." -- 9.11.06, David Ortiz talking about individual end-of-season awards with the Globe's Gordon Edes

You know Papi meant no harm. You’re totally being a hater.

"Ortiz grabbed a copy of the USA Today sports section in the visitors' clubhouse before last night's 6-5 win over the Baltimore Orioles and pointed to a photo of himself. According to the caption, Ortiz said he deserved to be MVP.

'What is this [expletive]?' he said. 'That's not me, bro. That's not what I'm about. This makes me look stupid.'"

And the best part:

"'I try to be cool with everybody,' he said. ' All the media. I don't want to be like Manny.'" Boston Globe, 9/13/06

Of course, we wouldn't agree on any aspect of football. I was going for Eli. Oh, and then yesterday at work, I was like, "Let me put up my Pats wallpaper of Adam Vinatieri (on the computer)." So I look for it and can't find it, then realize, "Oh yeah, in my anger, I deleted all photos." So much for the moment of softening up.

You know what we never did? We never recognized Andre Agassi. I watched him so much back in the day, and it was sad to see him retire. But here we are, and I feel old. That old footage looked old. Those old hairdos - old. So, here's to Andre for being the last tennis player worth watching (I wasn't a Sampras fan).

So what if the Sox are in double digits! Stop being so uppity about Jeter. Blech. Right after A-Fraud on my "Yankees I Can't Stand" list is Jeter. Eek.

Roxy

Next time: Dancing with the Stars


AP Photo: Michael Dwyer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home